The Shrine of St. Jude Thaddeus is a ministry of the Dominican Friars of the Province of St. Albert the Great, Chicago. In 1926, Fr. William Marchant, O.P., became pastor of St. Pius Church in Chicago. He had a personal devotion to Saint Jude Thaddeus, and opened the Shrine on October 20, 1929.
Originally, the Shrine consisted of a simple altar and a freestanding, five-foot statue of St. Jude. In 1939, the walls of the church niche were faced with green Alpian Italian marble, and the vaulted ceiling was faced with Venetian mosaic. Then, in honor of our 20th anniversary in 1949, an entirely new Shrine (the present one) was sculpted from Italian marble by the Daprato studio. The central figure is St. Jude looking down upon the “Peoples of the World” – a working man in overalls, a mother with her baby, a business man, a young woman, a nurse, a doctor, a Dominican Friar and a Dominican Nun.
Although our Shrine began because of the personal devotion of one man, it continues to thrive because of your personal devotion.
Each day, at least 200 people visit the Shrine, asking St. Jude to help them in their needs or thanking St. Jude for the help they have received. Each week, we receive nearly 2,000 prayer requests from people seeking help in the troubled areas of their lives. Many people who send their prayer requests write later to express their thanks for an answer to their prayers.
Each year since the Shrine opened in 1929, Saint Jude has continued to earn the title “Saint of the Impossible!”